October – December 31, 2020
Welcome Volunteers To the 2020 U-M United Way Campaign!
Thank you so much for agreeing to serve as the U-M United Way Unit Volunteer for your department – we can’t do it without you!
Everything to make your campaign a success is listed below.
Campaign Dates: October – December 31, 2020
Tips for a Successful Campaign:
- Send an email to the people in your department.
Sample Email #1
Dear Recipient Name;
The 2019 U-M United Way Campaign is underway!
Last year we raised more than $1.25 million during the U-M United Way campaign. I am proud of what we accomplished in providing opportunities to so many of our neighbors in need.Please take a moment to visit the U-M United Way website at umuw.org where you will find answers to frequently asked questions, links for making an ePledge or downloading a pledge form, and other information.
A few important things to note:
- The dates for the campaign are October 1 though December 31, 2020.
- Making a pledge is easy using the secure ePledge system on Wolverine Access at the faculty staff tab in the yellow highlighted area at https://wolverineaccess.umich.edu/f/u24l1s85/normal/render.uP.
- Pledging through the campaign allows you to contribute a little each month that adds up to make a big difference. If you have any questions throughout the campaign, please let me know.
I encourage each of you to participate, all pledges, no matter the size, will make a difference. Thank you and Go Blue!
Your NameSample Email #2
Dear Recipient Name;
I am writing to ask you to join me in making a gift to our U-M United Way campaign. As you know, the University of Michigan is committed to giving back to our community. U-M partners with United Way because it enables us to make a difference and we know that our support is reaching those who need it most and creating the greatest impact right here in our community.
When you make a gift to U-M United Way, you help to change lives and strengthen communities – one child, one adult and one family at a time, such as:
• An at-risk child who has the chance to attend a high-quality preschool preparing them for success in school and in life
• Parents who receive career and budget training to better provide for their family
• An older adult who can remain at home with access to health care services;
• A single mom in an abusive relationship who is offered safety, shelter, and a fresh start.
Last year, we raised $1.25 million during the U-M United Way campaign. I am proud of what we accomplished in providing opportunities to so many of our neighbors in need. I hope you will join me in making a gift to this year’s campaign. Together, we can make a difference and highlight U-M’s commitment to giving back to the communities in which we live and work.
Making a pledge is easy using the secure ePledge system on Wolverine Access at the faculty staff tab in the yellow highlighted area at https://wolverineaccess.umich.edu/f/u24l1s85/normal/render.uP.
Thank you and Go Blue! Sincerely,
- Handout a pledge form to each person in your department as a reminder.
- Request campaign materials and/or request for a United Way Representative to attend your next staff meeting to talk about the campaign.
Request Campaign Materials and/or Speaker
Take a moment to review the key topics below, it will help you in your communication with your department. Also, review some of the challenging topics that volunteers may encounter.
The United Way:
- Leverages expertise, connections, and resources to transform individual lives and entire neighborhoods.
- Connects people, families, and communities with the resources they need to thrive.
- Is the largest non-government funder of health and human services in the region.
- Locally, serves the community and improves the lives of thousands of people each year.
- Has a proven approach to strengthening our community which includes safety net programs across the region.
- Has a variety of ways to get involved including financial support and volunteering.
Additional information, that might be useful to you our volunteers, is available on the United Way of Washtenaw website. Please note that some of the information is not applicable to the University of Michigan Campaign, but is another resource if needed.
Stay in Touch
During the campaign you will receive a weekly email from me that includes that week's campaign totals and a spreadsheet showing each unit and their participation level along with any news.
If you have any questions please contact:
Administrative Assistant Intermediatedschilz@umich.edu | 734-763-3109
Deborah Schilz worked in event management at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor for more than 15 years before coming to the University of Michigan Office of the Vice President for Government Relations four years ago. She began her career as the Facilitates Coordinator for the Institute of Continuing Legal Education at U-M and a Medical Coordinator at the University of Michigan Hospital. Deborah received a bachelor’s degree in Business Marketing from Cleary University.