Director of Community Relations
email@example.com | 734-763-5554
Director of Community Relations, Michael Rein coordinates activities and engagement linked with community-based organizations and local government officials in the greater Ann Arbor area and Southeastern Michigan, including Detroit. Michael also coordinates the engagement activities of Government Relations’ State Outreach officials, Dana Sitlzer and LaSonia Forte across the state of Michigan
He has over 30 years of experience developing strong working relationships with community, business, and government leaders, including the last 11 years while at U-M Office of Government Relations. Michael has been involved with several business advocacy groups such as the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti (A2Y) Chamber and Washtenaw Economic Club as well as serving as a board member for non-profits such as the Washtenaw Community College Foundation, Arbor Hospice, Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum and the Washtenaw 100. Michael is currently a board member of Midtown Detroit Inc, United Way of Washtenaw County, State Street Business District and Destination Ann Arbor. He is a graduate of both the Detroit Regional Chamber Leadership Detroit and the A2Y Chamber Leadership Ann Arbor programs.
Prior to joining U-M Government Relations in 2011, Michael was the founding partner of Bowers + Rein Associates, Inc., an architectural/planning firm located in Ann Arbor.
Key service areas include:
- Coordination of campus planning and construction with local officials
- Mediation of parking, transportation, neighborhood, and housing concerns
- Communication and resolution of public and campus safety concerns
- Assistance to local and state businesses and economic development interests
- Administration of the annual University United Way Campaign
- Representation of U-M at community and governmental public hearings
- Facilitation of rapid response communications to address immediate needs