Read about Dr. Mark S. Schlissel, the 14th President of the University of Michigan.
The Inauguration: On Friday, September 5, 2014, Mark S. Schlissel was installed as the fourteenth president of the University of Michigan.
Follow him on Twitter: @drmarkschlissel
About Government Relations
Vice President Cynthia H. Wilbanks oversees the Office of the Vice President for Government Relations.
University officials monitor federal and state legislation that impacts or involves higher education. Officials work with elected officials and government agencies in providing information and research findings that may assist their policy work.
Did You Know....
- Read about what Michigan universities and businesses have accomplished by teaming up to help each other and the state during the recent recession. National Journal article.
- U-M ranks as a top university in World Reputation Rankings U-M is ranked as the 15th top university in the world according to the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings released Wednesday. Read more
- You can learn more about the State’s higher education appropriations process by joining the Alumni Association’s Legislative Advocacy program.
- U-M hospital care: Best in Michigan, among the best in the nation, says U.S. News. High national ranking for 12 U-M adult and 10 children's specialties continues two-decade trend. Read more
- U-M provides Guidelines for Political Campaigns and Ballot Initiatives.
- The Detroit Center is the base of operations for many of U–M's Detroit–focused programs
Art & Design to launch new maker space in Detroit neighborhood
October 8, 2014 Students and faculty at the Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design will work with a neighborhood alliance in Detroit to launch an incubator for creative enterprises and a community space for developing skills.
The Stamps School is using a $100,000 grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation's Knight Arts Challenge, which funds ideas that engage and enrich Detroit through the arts.
Working with the Brightmoor Alliance and Detroit Community Schools, the Stamps School will repurpose an underused property to launch the Brightmoor Maker Space.
The Maker Space will nurture creative engagement in the area, offering art and design workshops from prototyping and 3-D printing, to hands on work in wood, to entrepreneurship programming, and more. The Maker Space will also include locally driven entrepreneurial initiatives. Read more
The Compliance Resource Center includes practical information about compliance topics, and more.
The Legislative Advocacy program promotes the value of public higher education to elected officials in the State of Michigan. Volunteers in the program communicate with officials on the State appropriation bill, as well as other non-budget issues as needed.
Next Caucus Event:
Fits like a glove? The ACA in the Mitten
8/4/14 ANN ARBOR – The American shale gas boom has the potential to revitalize domestic manufacturing, and a new report from a University of Michigan-led panel recommends steps to make that happen in a responsible manner.
Includes The Michigan Memorial Phoenix Energy Institute (MMPEI)top