About Government Relations
Vice President Cynthia H. Wilbanks oversees the Office of the Vice President for Government Relations.
University officials monitor federal and state legislation that impacts or involves higher education. Officials work with elected officials and government agencies in providing information and research findings that may assist their policy work.
Did You Know....
- The University of Michigan moved from 10th to 6th in the rank of higher education institutions with the most students studying abroad between 2012 ans 2013. This represented a 15-percent increase, with 2, 365 students studying overseas (for academic credit) http://ow.ly/ECi9w
- Students at the School of Natural Resources and Environment in collaboration with U-M's Center for Sustainable Systems and the nonprofit group Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice created a comprehensive Detroit greenhouse gas inventory
- Read about what Michigan universities and businesses have accomplished by teaming up to help each other and the state during the recent recession. National Journal article.
- You can learn more about the State’s higher education appropriations process by joining the Alumni Association’s Legislative Advocacy program.
- Rankings: U-M Hospital care; Best in Michigan. World Reputation Rankings; 15th in the world.
- U-M provides Guidelines for Political Campaigns and Ballot Initiatives.
- The Detroit Center is the base of operations for many of U–M's Detroit–focused programs
Mental Health Promotion Featuring Former U-M Athletes Hits Home
A partnership between academics and athletics at U-M recently received $50,000 from the NCAA Innovations in Research and Practice Grant Program to address this concern, by developing mental health initiatives for student-athletes and evaluating their impact.
"One in three students experiences significant symptoms of depression, anxiety or other mental health conditions. Yet only about 30 percent of those students seek help, and that number drops to 10 percent for student-athletes," said Daniel Eisenberg, associate professor of health management and policy at the School of Public Health. Learn more about the Athletes Connected Project.
The Compliance Resource Center includes practical information about compliance topics, and more.
The Legislative Advocacy program promotes the value of public higher education to elected officials in the State of Michigan. Volunteers in the program communicate with officials on the State appropriation bill, as well as other non-budget issues as needed.
Next Caucus Event:
Fits like a glove? The ACA in the Mitten
8/4/14 ANN ARBOR – The American shale gas boom has the potential to revitalize domestic manufacturing, and a new report from a University of Michigan-led panel recommends steps to make that happen in a responsible manner.
Includes The Michigan Memorial Phoenix Energy Institute (MMPEI)top